The Coronavirus and Covid-19 situation has provided us as South Africans with a lot of challenges. The Disaster Management Act and applicable Regulations make provision for the Cabinet to to recommend the Alert Level that will be imposed on South Africa. Level 4 was declared to be in force from 1 May 2020.

In terms of Regulation 16, the movement of persons are confined to his or her place of residence. Regulation 16(2) makes provision for certain exceptions on movements and Permits can be obtained by people and institutions to leave his or her place of residence, as long as they are keeping the necessary documentation / permits with them during their travels.

The following can be applied for:

  • A permit for people performing an essential or permitted service as allowed in Alert Level 4
  • A permit to go to work where a permit which corresponds with Form 2 of Annexure A, has been issued
  • A permit to buy permitted goods
  • A permit to obtain services that are allowed to operate as set out in Table 1 of the Regulations
  • A permit to move children, as allowed

People are indeed allowed to move between provinces, metropolitan areas and districts in the instance of them having obtained a permit for:

  • Workers who have a permit to perform an essential or permitted service who have to commute to and from work on a daily basis
  • The attendance of a funeral, as allowed
  • the transportation of mortal remains
  • for learners who have to commute to and from school or higher education institutions on a daily basis during periods when those institutions are permitted to operate


A Permit / Court order can be obtained to move children between co-holders of parental responsibilities and caregivers as defined in Section 1 of the Children(s) Act, 2005.

The person travelling with a child in the same metropolitan area or district municipality is allowed subject to such person being in possession of:

  • A Court Order or
  • A Parental responsibilities and rights agreement or parenting plan, registered with the Family advocate
  • A permit issued by a magistrate where such corresponds with Form 3 of Annexure A if the documentation above is not available.

The movement of children between different metropolitan areas, district municipalities or provinces is allowed if the co-holders of parental responsibilities and rights or a caregiver is in possession of a permit, issued by a magistrate’s court which corresponds with Form 3 of Annexure A.

We provide assistance with any kind of Permit / Order issued by the Magistrate Court. Our practice follows the Ubuntu Principles and will negotiate our fees for our assistance. Contact the writer at or by Telephone: 0716747454.